Monday, November 23, 2009

Spicy Green apple pickle


My family loves spicy food and we adults just love a variety of pickles. So that has been a department for constant innovation and improvisation for me. So when I was talking about the cranberry thokku to my mil's co-sister it happened to be the apple season and she was having a lot of green apples falling in her backyard. And she is one hell of a cook constantly trying out something new and yet keeping in touch with the traditional ones. She told me about this green apple thokku and even got me a sample of it when she visited me. Since then I have made this many times for my family and it always has been a hit.



Ingredients:
4 Granny Smith apples grated
2 tbsp oil
1tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1tsp asafoetida/hing
1tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp salt
3tsp red chilli powder


Procedure:
In a pan heat the oil and temper it with the mustard seeds.
When the mustard seeds crackle add the fenugreek seeds and then the asafoetida and turmeric powder to it.
Then add the grated apples to it and salt and keep stirring it from time to time and when it starts to reduce add the red chilli powder and keep stirring till the oil leaves the sides and it all comes together.
Serve it as an alongwith a rotis,dosas,pancakes or rice of your choice. As for me I can eat it just like that---Hmmmmmmmm.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know abt Granny smith but lot of south indian mamis and grannies are nodding with approval.

    ReplyDelete
  2. priya,
    i have never tried grating apples before, but wont the color change if i grate it?? is it ok??
    let me know! i want to try this out!
    - sangeetha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sangeetha,
    Yes the colour of the apple does change slightly brown but only if kept exposed for a long time. I generally use my processor to grate it and then immiediately do it. YOu may want to add a little lemon juice to the apples so it wont turn dark.

    ReplyDelete