Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Barley Dosa/pancake

I was doing my regular grocery shopping at our local Apna bazaar and I stumbled upon a pack of Barley flour. I started wondering how I could make use of this ingredient in our diet as our cuisine does not use barley in any form much. I nevertheless buy it and think I would figure out something later.Then after a day or two when I am about to leave for picking up my younger son from school and am thinking about what could I give him as an afterschool snack did the idea of using barley flour in a dosa occur to me.
I immediately mix the ingredients for the dosa batter in some sour curd and leave for school. then when I come back after half an hour the batter was ready to be poured into a dosa.
Ingredients:
1 cup barley flour
3/4 cup rice flour
1 tbsp semolina/sooji/rava
1tbsp maida or All purpose flour
1 cup sour curds
1 tsp green chillies finely chopped
1 tsp ginger finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
a pinch of asafoetida(hing)
few curry leaves
some coriander /cilantro leaves finely chopped
oil for tempering
salt to taste.
Procedure:
Mix the barley and rice flour , semolina, curds, salt with water required to form a thick batter .
Heat a little oil in a pan and add to it the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and when they crackcle add the asafoetida, curry leaves, chillies and ginger.
Add this tempering to the batter and let it rest for atleast half an hour.If the batter rests for more than an hour the dosas would be much more easier to flip. Also add to it the chopped cilantro leaves.
When you are ready to make the dosa add enough water to the batter to make it into smooth dropping consistency.
Heat the nonstick tawa/griddle and season it with a little oil and then pour a ladleful of the batter and make it into a dosa like you would make a Rava dosa. Cook it on a low to medium flame on both sides till the dosa is cooked completely. Serve it hot with coconut chutney or dosai milagaipodi(gunpowder).






1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is a innovative way to include more whole grains with high fiber content in our daily diet.It sounds and looks delicious.I will surely try this recipe out.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete