Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Peanut-Flax powder


My mother in law used to always keep a jar of Ellu podi handy in the house to be mixed with plain rice and eaten for those days when she cannot cook an elaborate meal . I did prepare that podi but while browsing through Chandra Padmanabhan's Dakshin book came across the recipe for Peanut powder and started making it in addition to the Ellu powder or Parruppu powder.
My husband and my sons are always more than happy to eat a simple meal of these powder rice with potato or colocassia roast(arvi) so I have to have it in my house at all times.
Once I tried out the recipe of Dosaimilagaipodi with a twist of flax seeds and it came out well I decided to use it in this recipe too.


Ingredients:
2 cups Peanuts roasted and skinned
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
15 red chillies
1 tsp asafoetida powder
2 tsp oil
salt to taste

Procedure:
Roast dry the sesame seeds and flax seeds.
Fry the red chillies in 2 tsp of oil alongwith the asafoetida powder.
Powder fine the red chillies and asafoetida along with the sesame flax seeds.
Finally add the roasted and lightly cooled peanuts and powder coarse adding salt as required.

This powder can be mixed in rice with ghee or sesame oil and served with chips/papad or veggies of your choice. It can also be sprinkled on buttered bread as a sandwich spread.Also the quantity of flax seeds or sesame seeds can be altered to suit your taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment